We have some suggestions for other services that might be able to help when our lines are closed…
There are some other great services available to help with a wide variety of topics when our lines are closed or if you’d like specialist help with something. We recommend the Samaritans for emotional support when we are unavailable or if you have an urgent need to speak with someone. We’ve listed some suggestions for other services below, but please remember that these organisations are not connected with us in any way.
If you have any suggestions you think we might like to add to our list, please contact us at [email protected] – thank you!
University Campus Services:
1. Security: Park Campus, 01604 892269/ Avenue Campus, 01604 893369
Advisory. Available 24/7.
2. Park Campus Surgery: 01604 892582, https://parkcampussurgery.co.uk
Advisory. Open 8.30am-5.30pm Monday to Friday during University term time.
3. Student Services Helpdesk: 01604 892833
Advisory. The Student Services Help Desks are the first port of call for any assistance, information and advice. Can make bookings for university counselling or mental health wellbeing team.
4. Residential Life team: Park Campus East halls, 07740716592/ Park Campus West halls, 07740716593/ Avenue Campus Bassett Lowke, 07740716594
Advisory. Available 8:30am – 6am Monday to Friday, and 5pm – 6am at weekends.
If you live in halls, the Residential Life Team are around to help with anything from homesickness to medical emergencies.
5. 1st Degree Facilities Helpdesk: 01604 892888
Advisory. For reporting any faults or maintenance issues whilst living in university halls.
6. IT Services Helpdesk: 01604893333
Advisory. For reporting any university IT-related issues whilst studying at University of Northampton.
1. Samaritans: 116 123 (free number), http://www.samaritans.org/
Samaritans offer confidential emotional support for people who are experiencing feelings of distress, despair or suicidal thoughts. The helpline is for any problem and callers do not have to be suicidal.
2. Mind: 0300 123 3393, http://www.mind.org.uk/
Advisory. Available Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm.
Mind offers information, support and advice to anyone with a mental health problem on topics such as types of mental health problems, where to get help, medication and alternative treatments.
3. SANE: 08457678000, http://www.sane.org.uk
Available Monday-Sunday, 6pm-11pm.
SANE provides information, emotional support and practical help to improve the quality of life for people affected by mental illness. Helpline deals with a range of mental illness including anxiety, depression, eating disorders, self-harm, psychosis and suicide.
Sexuality & Sex:
1. Stonewall: 08000502020, http://www.stonewall.org.uk
Advisory. Available Monday-Friday, 9:30am-5:30pm.
Stonewall offers support, advice and information for the gay and bisexual community.
2. Lesbian and Gay Foundation: 08453303030 (landline), 01612358035 (mobile), http://www.lgf.org.uk/
Advisory. Available Monday-Sunday, 10am-10pm.
LGF offers information, advice and support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual and transvestite individuals, as well as information on sexual health.
3. Ask Brook: 08088021234, http://www.brook.org.uk
Advisory. Available Monday-Friday, 9am-7pm.
Brook offers confidential sexual health advice and contraception to young people under 25. Topics they can help with include pregnancy, contraception (including emergency contraception) and STIs.
1. The Relationship Helpline: 0808 802 2088
Available Monday-Thursday, 9am-9pm Friday, 9am-5pm Saturday, 10am-2pm.
The Relationship Helpline is a free, confidential service based in Scotland for use by people in the UK. They will listen to any relationship concerns, including relationship difficulties with your partner, family, friends or colleagues.
2. Relationships Matter: http://www.relationshipsmatter.org.uk
Advisory. Relationships Matter is a website for anyone who needs help and advice about relationships. It provides information about local and national services that provide advice and local help.
Bereavement & Suicide:
1. Cruse Bereavement Care: 08444779400, http://www.cruse.org.uk/
Available Monday and Friday, 9:30am-5pm Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 9:30am-8pm.
Cruse is a listening service that offers emotional support to anyone affected by bereavement. It can also recommend other useful sources of information such as support groups or financial advisors.
2. Calm: 0800585858, https://www.thecalmzone.net/
Available Monday-Sunday, 5pm-midnight.
Calm offers support to men in the UK, of any age, who are down, in crisis or are suicidal.
3. Papyrus (Hopeline UK): 08000684141, https://www.papyrus-uk.org/
Advisory. Available Monday-Friday, 10am-10pm Sat and Sun, 2pm-5pm.
Papyrus’ Hopeline offers non-judgemental support, practical advice and information to anyone under 35 years struggling to deal with suicidal thoughts, or anyone who is concerned about a young person.
1. Alcoholics Anonymous: 08457697555, http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/
Alcoholics Anonymous is a helpline providing help to those with a drinking problem by aiding their personal recovery and continued sobriety. They can put you in touch with a local branch.
2. Aquarius: 03004564292, http://aquarius.org.uk/contact/northamptonshire/
Aquarius offers support and activities for people in recovery from alcohol or drug abuse at their premises in Northampton. Also offers free counselling for problem gamblers and affected others.
3. Narcotics Anonymous: 03009991212, http://ukna.org/
Advisory. Available Monday-Sunday, 10am-Midnight.
Narcotics Anonymous offers support and advice about the nature of drug addiction. All volunteers are recovering addicts, and helpline also supports friends and family members of addicts.
Domestic & Sexual Abuse:
1. Men’s Advice Line: 08088010327, http://www.mensadviceline.org.uk/
Available Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.
Men’s Advice Line offers help and support for men experiencing domestic violence and abuse from a partner or ex-partner as well as to concerned friends and family.
2. National Domestic Violence Helpline: 08082000247, http://www.nationaldomesticviolencehelpline.org.uk/
NDVH provides support, help and information for women experiencing domestic violence, their family, friends, colleagues and others calling on their behalf. All calls are confidential and the helpline is operated by female support workers and volunteers.
3. Safeline: 08088005008, http://www.safeline.org.uk/
Available Monday, 10am-4pm Tuesday, 8am-8pm Thursday, 8am-8pm Friday, 10am-4pm Saturday, 10am-12 noon.
Safeline is a confidential service for anyone affected by rape or childhood sexual abuse. They offer information, signposting and emotional support.
We are OPEN every Thursday & Friday during term time, 9pm-3am.